Lindsay Lohan has certainly had a roller coaster of a career, but her ink shows a different side of her. She has ten tattoos, including quotes by Marilyn Monroe, Billy Joel lyrics, a heart, a foreign language, a finger tattoo (only one by the way, not 85 billion like Miley Cyrus has), a number, a reminder, and a mysterious triangle. Shall we get started with these tattoos and meanings? 1. Marilyn Monroe #1 Lindsay has showed to be a Marilyn Monroe fan with her tattoos that tribute to the late star and actress. This one reads, “Stars, all we ask for is our right to twinkle.” This is based on the Marilyn Monroe quote that actually says, “We are all of us stars, and we deserve to twinkle.” It is located on her left forearm and is bordered by yellow, pink, and purple stars.
She also posted a picture of the new tattoo on her blog, along with a picture from a self help book that shows a triangle with the words, truth, love, and power at each corner. Here is another picture that has been part of her inspiration. Lindsay certainly knows how to ink things that are meaningful to her, and we don’t see a lot of that nowadays. She is working on herself and has reportedly been sober for a while now. Go Lindsay!
10. Another Triangle At first I thought that this tattoo was an altered version of the previous triangle, but I have been reading that this tattoo is on her left arm, while the previous one is on her right. Lindsay Lohan’s new tattoo features another red triangle. The numbers at the bottom may refer to 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, which says, “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”
7. 7 Tattoo number seven… is the number seven! Yes, I planned this. Anywho, this tattoo is a bit of a mystery, since she hasn’t really spoken much about it. Although, its subtlety definitely makes it all the more mysterious. Ooooh!
8. Breathe This tattoo is not flashy and may require a double take to notice. It is the word, “Breathe” which is scrolled in white ink on her wrist. She talked about this tattoo on the Ellen DeGeneres show, where she reported forgetting to breathe sometimes and got it as a reminder. Does anyone else have trouble in this respect? Any readers out there who also forget to breathe? This is very interesting and I would love to know more about it.
9. Tricky Triangles First, it started out as a double triangle on her right upper arm. She reportedly got this tattoo in a spiritual ceremony with friend Liam McMullan, which represents their oneness and how they fulfill each other. The words, “What Dreams May Come” may remind them to follow their dreams, although these words were taken from Shakespeare’s Hamlet, in the title characters monologue where he contemplates suicide. To put into context, here is a part of the monologue: “To die, to sleep,/To sleep, perchance to Dream; Aye, there's the rub,/For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come.” Could this also be some creepy death reference? Being a theatre nerd, I may be looking into this one way too far, so let’s continue! Shall we?
5. La Bella Vita This tattoo is my favorite of all of Lindsay’s tattoos. It is the words, “la bella vita” and it is scrolled on the right side of her lower back. It is Italian for, “The Beautiful Life” and looks very delicate. It is said to be done as a tribute to her Italian grandfather.
6. Shhh This “Shhh…” tattoo is very cute and is on Lindsay’s right index finger. She got this tattoo with her friend, singer Lily Allen while they were out and about. I think the meaning speaks for itself! It’s just cute and clever and has the power to tell someone to be quiet, which is what everyone really needs. Quiet.
2. Marilyn Monroe #2 Lindsay’s second Marilyn Monroe tattoo says, “I restore myself when I’m alone.” Maybe since she lives a crazy life with people in her business ALL the time, she has learned to really appreciate the alone time that she gets? She was also rumored to gave gotten this tattoo after her and longtime girlfriend Samantha Ronson broke up, so it could also reflect how being single allows you to find yourself again. This quote is bordered by pink, blue yellow and a green star and is on her right forearm.
3. Billy Joel Lyrics The song lyrics on Lindsay’s right side say, “Clear as a crystal sharp as a knife, I feel like I’m in the prime of my life.” This is from a Billy Joel sing titled I go to Extremes. The song first came out in 1989 and even though that was over twenty years ago today, Lindsay must feel that those words are still relevant. It signifies where she is in her life, everything she has gone through, and how she is back on track.
4. Heart This heart tattoo is on Lindsay’s left hand and she got this with her girlfriend at the time Samantha Ronson, who got a matching tat. Since their breakup, Samantha is rumored to have gotten the ink removed. As far as we know, Lindsay has chosen to keep the ink. Perhaps as a reminder of the past that she can look back on, and think of where she is today.